Scolring - Forum

Entraides et échanges autour de la technologie Scol - Informations and exchanges on the Scol technology

Vous pouvez changer la langue de l'interface une fois inscrit - You can change the language once registered

You are not logged in.

#1 15-Jun-2022 10:38:21

Lisa_WT

Adding a material texture on a mesh ?

Hi everyone,

I would like to add a material texture to my meshes in my OS3D project (such as grass on a cube as an example). When I do "Edit material" and add a texture, I appears to be ok on the material preview, but the texture doesn't appear on my mesh, only the main color of it (ex: green). I exported all my meshes from SOLIDWORKS in STL format (without any texture). Can it be a reason of this problem? I also tried with the texture given with the examples from OS3D but still doesn't work. Do we need to specify some characteristics before to export/import the mesh?

Many thanks by advance for your help!

Lisa

#2 15-Jun-2022 11:19:50

arkeon
Admin. / Scol language & OpenSpace3D developer
Website

Re: Adding a material texture on a mesh ?

Hello,

Stl format do not include uv texture coordinates needed to apply a texture.
To apply a texture material on an object the model need to have explicit uv coordinates.

Maybe you can open your model in blender for example and apply uv to it. Then export in another format like dae

#3 15-Jun-2022 11:31:39

Lisa_WT

Hi,

Thank you for your quick answer. I also tried to export my model in DAE using FreeCAD but still no texture. Is it normal ?

I will try to dowload blender to apply uv coordinates.

#4 15-Jun-2022 14:00:25

arkeon
Admin. / Scol language & OpenSpace3D developer
Website

Yes it's normal if the 3d modeler do not compute textures coordinates on the model

#5 22-Jun-2022 09:18:41

Lisa_WT

Hi,

I tried to apply UV to my model using blender and it worked very well. Thank you for your help !

Board footer