Scolring - Forum

Entraides et échanges autour de la technologie Scol - Informations and exchanges on the Scol technology

Vous pouvez changer la langue de l'interface une fois inscrit - You can change the language once registered

You are not logged in.

#26 7-Jan-2015 20:46:19

hebdemnobad
Website

Re: time for a mascot

arkeon wrote:

just imported this file and all is ok for me...
it did it only when I use your XOS project.

I'll try to find out tomorrow

So it works as expected in os3d?

#27 7-Jan-2015 21:15:56

arkeon
Admin. / Scol language & OpenSpace3D developer
Website

when I just import it and play the animation yes
I don't know if this is due to the way you imported it or if this is something wrong in the animation plugiT
I'll check this

#28 7-Jan-2015 21:41:07

hebdemnobad
Website

yes it must have been some type of data corruption, the animation plugit works fine, all is well. this is great, since the shader that this figure uses uses hardware skinning, and with bone scaling you can get morph-like effects and keep using the shader. (if you add vertex animations to a .mesh that uses this shader, it won't compile/render/i can't remember what, but it doesn't work)

perhaps some naughty electrons were to blame?

this uses spacekey down to start animation, and spacekey up to stop animation:

http://www.ifam.net/openspace/mascot/web/index.html

#29 23-Jan-2015 17:07:53

hebdemnobad
Website

ack!!! i had forgotten so much about animating and rigging in blender..i was using poser 5 to generate motion data (you can easily animate tentacles), but everything got mixed up when i exported to poser. plus skinning is tough when i can't use morph animations to take care of some deformation glitches from the bones...but my mascot is close to ready. it needs a space suit though, and i think it will have an addiction to cigarettes.

#30 23-Jan-2015 17:37:08

arkeon
Website

hehe yes rigging is a source of headache

#31 23-Jan-2015 17:49:55

hebdemnobad
Website

arkeon wrote:

hehe yes rigging is a source of headache

anything that has a bunch of hanging tentacles is hard...i haven't figured out how to do weight painting with selection masks turned on, so i'm always moving my object around to get at that one annoying vertex... since it's moving around, if it doesn't have any really obvious artefacts it will make it past my quality control.

#32 16-Mar-2015 21:17:00

hebdemnobad
Website

oh man was rigging a headache, especially for the webbing between each tentacle.

i went down the rabbit hole with blender but managed to learn a few things.

i tried ik setups for a while, but i gave up. with hardware skinning on cheap gpu's (i'm thinking of a web audience which isn't filled with gamers,. so shader model 2 or shader model 3), you can only put 64 bones in a rig. so you cannot take advantage of things like spline ik, that appears to require more bones and vertices to work well (i tried...if anyone has a pointer, feel free to share) .

but this guy works with under 64 bones...i still have to normal map, lock the weight groups, and add swimming animations,  eye animations, and animating the siphon that the octopus uses to propel itself and otherwise move around.

around 3.2k polies, i will try to reduce that a bit since i am making the transition between bones one edge loop on average.  it isn't hyper realistic, but it's developed a bit.  to make this guy move like a real octopus, you need a lot more bones and polygons.

http://ifam.net/openspace/mascot2/web/index.html

#33 16-Mar-2015 23:09:44

arkeon
Website

hehe yes rigging need master skills smile No idea on blender but this is already a hard job on max.

seems pretty good now.

#34 17-Mar-2015 13:21:11

hebdemnobad
Website

There's this one out there:
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d- … ion/813420

But its 52k polys and probably has much more than 64 bones

#35 17-Mar-2015 13:32:17

hebdemnobad
Website

arkeon wrote:

hehe yes rigging need master skills smile No idea on blender but this is already a hard job on max.

seems pretty good now.

Thx...when I'm done with the fk version of this I will sell it on http://cgcookiemarkets.com/blender/ and make it available for free to everyone who has joined this forum on the date that I put it for sale. 

Maybe I'll seek some input on the spline ik issue on http://blenderartists.org  but with so few bones and polys I doubt I can make it work. To stay under the 64 bone limit I can only put 6 bones in a tentacle since I need bones to manipulate the webbing and siphon.

#36 1-Sep-2015 15:07:04

hebdemnobad
Website

ok, it's been a (long) while but I've been learning using spline ik to control tentacles. you can get them to move more like an octopus (tentacles can move in waves and they can stretch and contract like an animal which has no skeleton)  than a bony marionette.  i've messed up some of the transforms and parenting. (you have to make this elaborate hierarchy of splines, "hooks", "empties", and spheres which are used to control the splines)

in all of it's wip-ness

http://www.ifam.net/openspace/mascot/web/index.html

btw, chrome has disabled activex plugins on win7.  you have to enter a special command in the address bar to temporarily enable the scol plugin.

here are the instructions from google:

How to temporarily enable NPAPI plugins
If you must use a NPAPI plugin, there’s a temporary workaround that will work until Chrome version 45 is released later in 2015:

Open Chrome.
In the address bar at the top of the screen, type chrome://flags/#enable-npapi
In the window that opens, click the link that says Enable under the Enable NPAPI flag.
In the bottom left corner of the page, click the Relaunch Now button.
After the release of Chrome version 45, you’ll need to use an alternate web browser to load content that requires a NPAPI plugin.

it's not a big deal with me but I will post to redmine.

but it works! it's not pretty because i have to fix a bunch of transforms of some of the controlling elements.

what a mess (it's like my kids dumped their legos....)

whatamess

Last edited by hebdemnobad (1-Sep-2015 15:11:05)

#37 16-Sep-2015 14:57:12

hebdemnobad
Website

fwiw,  i've gone down the rabbit hole with physics and animation/rigging (curves, multiple rigs, spline ik)  in blender....i've got one of the 8 tentacles to look like an octopus is moving it, and the silly eye movement is just a test...

using spline ik, i have to repaint some of the bone weights, redo the normal mapping, redo lots of things.

use firefox, chrome and ie  cannot detect the player as per your (arkeon's) recent post about the scol plugin being deprecated

http://ifam.net/openspace/mascot/

this uses the very upper limit of a bone count allowed for hardware skinning on older dx cards.....

i'm afraid of what in the world kind of shader in opengles 2.0  i would have to use for android to emulate this (diffuse/normal/specular/with alpha option with hardware skinning)

Last edited by hebdemnobad (16-Sep-2015 15:25:12)

#38 3-Dec-2015 22:33:18

hebdemnobad
Website

i'm rebuilding it so it has only manifold geometry (normal shaders don't like using planes so i gave up on the old model)
side.png
top.png
bottom.png

Last edited by hebdemnobad (3-Dec-2015 22:34:47)

Board footer