Scolring - Forum

Entraides et échanges autour de la technologie Scol - Informations and exchanges on the Scol technology

Vous pouvez changer la langue de l'interface une fois inscrit - You can change the language once registered

You are not logged in.

#1 24-Sep-2015 23:22:24

Questions about SCOL

Hello.
I study SCOL.
Please tell me there are books newer than this? http://redmine.scolring.org/projects/sc … nguage.pdf

Sorry, I understand English and French only via Google translator. I'm not a programmer.
Despite this, I began to translate the book into Russian language.
Also I use a variant of this book, written in French. To clarify the details.
The translation I'm trying to write efficiently. To do this, I study all the examples from the book. Also I read further sources of information.

Here is the translation:
SCOL ____________ http://www.programmersforum.ru/showthread.php?t=282035
OpenSpace3D _____ http://www.programmersforum.ru/showthread.php?t=282034 (original http://www.openspace3d.com/documentation/fr/ )
I'm currently learning the basics of functional programming. After that I will continue to translate textbooks.

I have more questions.
1. Why SCOL technology is almost unknown in the world?
2. Why choose SCOL? (for OpenSpace3D)
3. What are the disadvantages in SCOL?
4. SCOL is an interpreted language. For heavy 3D scenes he's not slow?
4.1. Functions (API) SO3Engine slow down your 3D scenes (about the comparison with "pure" Ogre3D)? Or not?
5. The SCOL much in common with OCaml?
6. What programs written in SCOL? (except OpenSpace3D, SCS, http://www.arkeon.be/skin1/products.php … ojets_scol )
7. SCOL Server is no longer being developed? SCOL Server 4 is the latest version?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

#2 25-Sep-2015 13:06:11

arkeon
Admin. / Scol language & OpenSpace3D developer
Website

Re: Questions about SCOL

Hello and welcome smile

Wow you already made a great work !

There is no newer book about scol language but this one is good for basis (but avoid the deprecated DMS part)

1 - this is now a pretty old technology it was knew a lot in 2000 but now we are not really good in communication ^^ Also since it become open source, we are a small team working on it.
The good news is it should change with the portability of the techno to other platforms.

2 - When starting to work on OS3D we were several Scol contributor in the team, so this was the good choice for us to make it better and quicker.
Also Scol allow live code compilation this make the process more flexible (Load / unload plugits)

3 - The hardest question to answer for me ^^
Not yet full portable (IOS port in progress) but should need OSX / Linux and other platforms too.
Technologies grows too fast it's hard for our small team to keep it updated.

4 - 3D scene do not change anything about interpreted language, when the scene is loading the code is already compiled.
But for very big scene we should need more specific scene manager for the 3D engine. (maybe one day)

4.1 - Scol functions are just high level bindings to Ogre3D so no I don't think this make a big difference

5 - Several trainee I've got says hey this look like OCaml, but I didn't know this language before, so I can't tell

6 - There is a lot of APP made in scol but not all public. OS3D take me a lot of time so I don't develop a lot of APP, but when I need I do it in scol and gain time on the process (because I use scol everyday and there is already a lot of functionalities not all used in OS3D).

7 - Scol server were mainly designed for SCS application
OS3D use a more flexible and light JAVA server for multi user communications. This allow to deploy it on any type of server, also this should be more easy to maintain.

You're welcome and thanks for your support.

#3 25-Sep-2015 15:54:47

iri
Admin. / Scol language & Scol apps developer
Website

Hello,

You will find others / newer informations on our wiki :

http://redmine.scolring.org/projects/scol/wiki
http://redmine.scolring.org/projects/tutorials

Few recent changes are not yet published in the wiki.

4- The loading of a 3D scene can depend on the quality of the program but not the question interpreted language vs compiled language.
On the other hand, with an interpreted language, the same program (the same code) is loaded and compiled on all supported platform.

5- Indeed, Scol has a lot of common things with OCaml. Sylvain Huet, who created the Scol foundations in 1996-97, had worked and contributed to OCaml. So, he deliberately included many concepts and structures.

7- Scol server allows the hosting of DMS (mainly) and no-DMS multi-users applications. Its development is currently stopped. But this choice can change in the future, it depends on the needs.

#4 25-Sep-2015 16:30:00

arkeon
Website

5 - ho I didn't knew about it ^^

#5 25-Sep-2015 18:52:22

iri
Website

OCaml or maybe Caml but rather OCaml i think. It is old now wink

Below, several basic concepts and structures in Scol and (O)Caml (and since in with some newer languages too) :

- functional language;
- pattern matching;
- type inference (automatic deduction of the type of an expression);
- type inference (the internal algorithm to define the object type during the bytecode production is based on that OCaml);
- strong and static typing;
- generic programming and polymorphism;
- recursion;
- allows imperative programming;
- garbage collector;
- garbage collector (the internal algorithm is also based on that OCaml, some particularities are added);
- some keywords come (or are adapted) from OCaml : let, mutate, match and match syntaxe (| ...), fun, etc. And the double semicolon (;;) smile

Others come from C / C++, like comment blocks (/* */  //), struct, semicolon at the end of an instruction, etc.

#6 27-Sep-2015 07:10:22

arkeon, iri - thank you very much for your answers, and for so much information! All of this information I will write to the SCOL tutorial.

arkeon wrote:

Wow you already made a great work !

Too bad that I don't know English and/or French language. Otherwise I translate to faster. But there is a reason to learn English, and possibly French smile.

It is good that SCOL does not slow down the three-dimensional scene. Also pleased that the language has much in common with OCaml.     
Documentation for OCaml translated into Russian language, so I'll sometimes use it to clarify some points related to the translation of a textbook on SCOL.

I also translate and documentation SCOL API. Already translated description of the major sections. Such documentation will be in the files .chm (within the General documentation file SCOL API, in other - SO3Engine API).
When translating SO3Engine API I deeply entangled in the structure of the sections, so I'll leave the document on the last turn.

1. API SCOL (total). Translation version 0.1.7. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByTAfw … sp=sharing
2. API SO3Enline. Translation version 0.2.1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByTAfw … sp=sharing

Translation API documentation does not replace the original. So on the main pages .chm I left links to the original documentation.

#7 27-Sep-2015 12:57:00

iri
Website

Good job.

For information, these two links displays an empty page. Probably a bad setting to sharing them.
Note that the CHM format is on Microsoft platform only.

#8 29-Sep-2015 09:44:05

I had forgotten that .chm is designed only for Windows sad
File .chm seems to be unlocked via "properties" item on the file menu.
First I'll translate the tutorials SCOL and OS3D. After that I will look for another file format for the documentation of SCOL API.

tSoWgR5.png F8KdIyK.png N9dLoVk.png 5KQex1M.png

#9 29-Sep-2015 16:24:46

hebdemnobad
Website

From the viewpoint of a self taught programmer, scol is much like javascript except that scol not only communicates with web pages  but ogre via os3d, physics with newton, plus almost any input device I can imagine, with support for serial  port communication. So it can take your pulse and turn on your coffee maker or robot to make sure you're awake enough for whatever.

#10 13-Oct-2015 10:07:11

hebdemnobad - thanks for the info.
Also I noticed that SCOL is similar to the F# language. F# too (like SCOL) derives from the language OCaml. Now I'm learning functional programming and F#. For me it is very difficult smile
After that, I'll be back to learn SCOL (and translate textbooks SCOL-OpenSpace3D on Russian language).

Last edited by Avatar-Z (13-Oct-2015 10:07:26)

#11 13-Oct-2015 14:54:13

hebdemnobad
Website

hebdemnobad - thanks for the info.
Also I noticed that SCOL is similar to the F# language. F# too (like SCOL) derives from the language OCaml. Now I'm learning functional programming and F#. For me it is very difficult smile
After that, I'll be back to learn SCOL (and translate textbooks SCOL-OpenSpace3D on Russian language).

Do you know any other scripting/programming languages?

#12 5-Dec-2015 16:14:39

iri
Website

5. The SCOL much in common with OCaml?

I'm late but, about this question, Sylvain Huet (who created Scol in 1996) tells :
« Influenced by my studies at MIT and Inria, the Scol programming language presents some similarities with functional languages such as Id or Caml, with a simplified syntax so that it is more familiar to traditional developpers. »

#13 5-Aug-2018 19:58:53

Bigfoot#

Can you sell apps made with SCOL?

#14 5-Aug-2018 20:40:40

arkeon
Website

yes smile

#15 6-Aug-2018 13:06:11

iri
Website

arkeon wrote:

yes smile

and you must freely provide the source code of your Scol's app.
For more informations, see the license file

You can sell it for any price if you have buyers.

#16 6-Aug-2018 21:17:10

arkeon
Website

Yes but if this is an openspace3d app. You don't need to share the os3d project sources.

#17 6-Aug-2018 22:21:11

iri
Website

If this is only an OS3D's applet, but if this is an application written in Scol (that was the question), the source code must be provided. smile
Same thing for Scol itself.

Board footer