Scolring - Forum

Entraides et échanges autour de la technologie Scol - Informations and exchanges on the Scol technology

Vous pouvez changer la langue de l'interface une fois inscrit - You can change the language once registered

You are not logged in.

#1 3-Nov-2014 20:02:56

hebdemnobad
Website

managing an undependable comptext object while so3 engine initializes

colleagues:

I have a problem when creating a fullscreen loading screen for the player that I am modifying and testing on my tablet.  The screen (window>objcontainer>comptext) appears after the dependencies are loaded and before the splash screen widget loading callback is called.

Sometimes the screen renders correctly (as a black background) with white comptext. Sometimes the window is rendered but the object container is not (in which case the user sees a big blank window.)

The vm is dependable if the startup screen is not fullscreen. It container always renders and the comptext always renders.

Is there a way I can loop through painting a container until both the object container and comptext objects are rendered properly? Or is the vm undependable when initializing the 3d engine?

Perhaps a better way to do startup screens is create a vb.net project and let vb handle startup, until the engine is up and running (the loaded widget callback indicates that everything is ready), and from then on it will just be scol programming.

any input welcome, thx
-h

Last edited by hebdemnobad (3-Nov-2014 20:19:13)

#2 3-Nov-2014 20:36:15

arkeon
Admin. / Scol language & OpenSpace3D developer
Website

Re: managing an undependable comptext object while so3 engine initializes

when you switch to fullscreen the window has new special flags, and should only have 3D content.
a think that is possible is to create a fake fullscreen window.
so you don't use the fullscreen function.
you set the main window with the desktop size with no border or title bar.

#3 3-Nov-2014 20:59:35

iri
Admin. / Scol language & Scol apps developer
Website

+1 !

#4 3-Nov-2014 21:08:10

hebdemnobad
Website

arkeon wrote:

when you switch to fullscreen the window has new special flags, and should only have 3D content.
a think that is possible is to create a fake fullscreen window.
so you don't use the fullscreen function.
you set the main window with the desktop size with no border or title bar.

if what you mean is using the SO3BufferSetProperties function and setting the fullscreen boolean to 1, I'm not doing that.

what I am doing is making the mainwindow the size of the desktop and turning off the border and title bar

fwiw, when I run the mainWindow the size of the desktop and turn off the border and title bar, once so3 engine is up and running, I can grow and shrink the buffer and display a 2d ui without problems, on my laptop and tablet smile

i think i will stop the quest for perfect loading screens, for the moment. i will work with what works, and won't search for the holy grail when something doesn't work.  once the engine is up and running, the car, so to speak, runs like new. that's what's most important.

if users know their 3d content will display without problems (and so far my laptop and tablet haven't had any problems with os3d when I've got the progamming right), they can do with a little bumpiness getting there.

Last edited by hebdemnobad (3-Nov-2014 21:14:34)

#5 3-Nov-2014 21:31:59

iri
Admin. / Scol language & Scol apps developer
Website

something like that :

let _GETscreenSize -> [widthScreen heightScreen] in
_CRwindow _channel motherWindow 0 0 widthScreen heightScreen WN_NOCAPTION|WN_NOBORDER "";

EDIT : OK, already done.

#6 3-Nov-2014 22:09:47

hebdemnobad
Website

My alternate strategy will be to put the vm in a vb.net project and have vb do the loading screen windows until the loadwidget callback is fired.

#7 3-Nov-2014 22:44:26

arkeon
Website

I don't understand the point here.
adding a vb project in this for me have no sense hmm

I think it can be managed better from the order of the windows you creates. I still don't know if you launch the 3D buffer into fullscreen or not, since you asked for this before.

#8 3-Nov-2014 22:49:32

arkeon
Website

did you try _PAINTcontainer ?
and if you use _SETcompText try with the last parameter of the function set to 1

#9 3-Nov-2014 22:52:36

hebdemnobad
Website

arkeon wrote:

I don't understand the point here.
adding a vb project in this for me have no sense hmm

I think it can be managed better from the order of the windows you creates. I still don't know if you launch the 3D buffer into fullscreen or not, since you asked for this before.

What I am trying to stay away from is unresponsive windows during startup.  I'm not launching the 3d buffer into fullscreen mode. (and I don't want to do that, as I want my project to have a 2d ui at all times, or at least the option for it.  I'm just getting the desktop size and sizing the windows accordingly (or keeping the startup screens small, since I'm only encountering this issue when the startup screens are set to the size of the desktop.)

From the standpoint of a tablet user, if the startup screens are not taking up the whole desktop, that's not a huge issue. What's important is that the vm takes up the whole desktop when it is fully initialized, so the user's fingers don't accidentally summon other programs.

#10 3-Nov-2014 22:58:47

hebdemnobad
Website

arkeon wrote:

did you try _PAINTcontainer ?
and if you use _SETcompText try with the last parameter of the function set to 1

I've tried _PAINTcontainer in all sort of configurations.

I'm not using _SETcompText. 

After further thought, I think it's for the best that the startup screens do not take up the whole desktop. when they do, the bottom taskbar is invisible, and the user cannot switch to other desktop programs without going to the windows 8 start screen, scrolling down to all the apps (not the big metro tiles), and starting up the task manager.

So I will leave this problem/issue for the moment. Any user who uses my project will be technically literate enough to get annoyed that my app is behaving like a screen-hogging metro app, so perhaps it's a problem I don't have to deal with for the moment. smile  I'm sure that more important problems will be arising anyway.

Board footer