Scolring - Forum

Entraides et échanges autour de la technologie Scol - Informations and exchanges on the Scol technology

Vous pouvez changer la langue de l'interface une fois inscrit - You can change the language once registered

You are not logged in.

#1 2-Oct-2014 11:38:55

hebdemnobad
Website

Creating an app with an ide that can run os3d and other scol component

Colleagues:

Could I create an application with visual studio that uses a visual basic project which contains several scol interface elements? I'm thinking various scol windows (i.e. an os3d window, and various 2d graphic/text/input elements). I asked a similar question about embedding two scol interfaces in a single web page, but that would involve cross browser issues. Since scol at this point only works on windows, I thought it would be easier to create a free standing application that contains multiple scol interface elements in a common container using visual basic.

-h

#2 2-Oct-2014 13:00:31

arkeon
Admin. / Scol language & OpenSpace3D developer
Website

Re: Creating an app with an ide that can run os3d and other scol component

hmm I'm not sure but I think it's not possible as it and I'm not sure of the utility ?

#3 2-Oct-2014 13:22:27

hebdemnobad
Website

arkeon wrote:

hmm I'm not sure but I think it's not possible as it and I'm not sure of the utility ?

1. Using voyager as several activex components?

Or

2. Embedding ie in a VB project and ie would contain multiple ActiveX components.

#4 2-Oct-2014 14:03:45

arkeon
Website

please recall me the goal of this?

Scol already have an activeX plugin so yes you can embed it in any activeX compatible project like VB.

#5 2-Oct-2014 14:16:36

hebdemnobad
Website

the goal would be to have an os3d ui element, and other scol ui elements that are not children of the os3d window. That way I could have an application that would use scol to display os3d in one part of the interface and other scol (or non scol) elements in other parts of the interface.

#6 2-Oct-2014 14:27:48

arkeon
Website

ha ok so yes you can do this using the scol activex plugin
import the AXScol.dll in your project and see the html code of an embedded page to see the commands

#7 2-Oct-2014 14:30:08

hebdemnobad
Website

I've managed to import two instances of the scol plugin as an activex object into a vb project.....how would I be able to load a local os3d .scol project "spaceship.scol" into one instance of the plugin, and another non os3d project "2dui.scol" into another instance.

I see there is a dropdown list that appears on the right hand side of the visual studio interface that has many parameters

respond when you have time, no rush...the visual studio interface looks pretty complicated:

scolinvisualstudio.png

Last edited by hebdemnobad (2-Oct-2014 14:32:54)

#8 2-Oct-2014 14:38:45

arkeon
Website

You call : LaunchMachine("$browser$%5fload+%22locked%2flink%2epkg%22%0amain+%22" + url + "%22%0a CSDMRWK 1000000",1,0);
this must be a member of the activeX instance

the url is encode with web characters
for example "scol://applet:http://www.openspace3d.com/demos/vehicle/vehicle.txt"

in JS
function urlencode(str)
{
  return escape(str).replace(/\+/g,'%2B').replace(/%20/g, '+').replace(/\*/g, '%2A').replace(/\//g, '%2F').replace(/@/g, '%40');
}

#9 2-Oct-2014 14:43:02

hebdemnobad
Website

arkeon wrote:

You call : LaunchMachine("$browser$%5fload+%22locked%2flink%2epkg%22%0amain+%22" + url + "%22%0a CSDMRWK 1000000",1,0);
this must be a member of the activeX instance

the url is encode with web characters
for example "scol://applet:http://www.openspace3d.com/demos/vehicle/vehicle.txt"

in JS
function urlencode(str)
{
  return escape(str).replace(/\+/g,'%2B').replace(/%20/g, '+').replace(/\*/g, '%2A').replace(/\//g, '%2F').replace(/@/g, '%40');
}

thanks....this seems to be a big project for me. It looks like I need to work on my visual studio skills to understand how a visual studio vb project is constructed...when I know what I am doing in terms of having one control in a form communicate with another, I'll come back to this.

I better understand the forest before I ask you about the trees.

thx arkeon!

#10 2-Oct-2014 15:43:12

arkeon
Website

Maybe you could try a simple activeX tutorial with VB first

#11 2-Oct-2014 15:47:14

hebdemnobad
Website

arkeon wrote:

Yes that's what I will do, although VB appears to have many compatibility issues with windows 8.1 pro, so I will learn how to author vb projects with visual studio express 2013. I have gotten to the point that I can use the scol plugin. 

What I don't know is how to get one component to talk to another, which will involve visual basic, which I haven't used in a long long time. I'll figure it out.

#12 2-Oct-2014 16:21:58

iri
Admin. / Scol language & Scol apps developer
Website

arkeon wrote:

+1 !

and next, just try with a simple Scol window.

Note that a such project is for MS Window only (even when an other platform will be supported again by Scol).

hebdemnobad wrote:

That way I could have an application that would use scol to display os3d in one part of the interface and other scol (or non scol) elements in other parts of the interface.

This goal seems me complex. Include any Scol components / little applications in an application written in another language, it's ok. Maybe do you have a more accurate idea that you talk, so continue your research !

#13 2-Oct-2014 16:30:48

hebdemnobad
Website

iri wrote:
arkeon wrote:

+1 !

and next, just try with a simple Scol window.

Note that a such project is for MS Window only (even when an other platform will be supported again by Scol).

hebdemnobad wrote:

That way I could have an application that would use scol to display os3d in one part of the interface and other scol (or non scol) elements in other parts of the interface.

This goal seems me complex. Include any Scol components / little applications in an application written in another language, it's ok. Maybe do you have a more accurate idea that you talk, so continue your research !

What I am thinking of is a social network built along the lines of instagram.  Each client would have a feed of friends who are posting (or peer to peer sending, at this point I haven't determined) 3d objects in os3d scenes.  Screenshots would show up in the feed.  Click on a screenshot, then you are in the environment, with a chat/comment window below the os3d window but not a child of the os3d window.  The feed would then move off to the side.

It would primarily be for objects, not environments, although the latter would be ok I guess. For artists, architects, industrial designers, athletics/dance teachers, anyone who wants to see a thing or human/animal in 3d format.

The main problem I want to work around is getting a ui that has os3d as an element but not as a parent, as that has led (my laptop gpu) to malfunctions with widgets.

Perhaps I can use scol to set up ui where there is a parent object, and os3d and other scol elements are children of the parent.  I think I could do that in visual basic by embedding multiple scol plugins..

but perhaps I can do this in scol. (I'm just realizing I should have though of this question earlier. roll )

And at this point I know scol a bit better than visual basic. smile

Last edited by hebdemnobad (2-Oct-2014 16:31:35)

#14 2-Oct-2014 17:36:08

arkeon
Website

as that has led (my laptop gpu) to malfunctions with widgets

do you mean the widget disappear ?

#15 2-Oct-2014 17:39:46

hebdemnobad
Website

arkeon wrote:

as that has led (my laptop gpu) to malfunctions with widgets

do you mean the widget disappear ?

yes. you mentioned it was no a good idea to have window objects appearing as children of the 3d buffer in general, as a possible cause.

#16 2-Oct-2014 17:42:02

arkeon
Website

hmm I forgot to re-add a correction in ogre last time I updated it.
the widgets disapear when you lost the 3D device (screen change or navigator tab switch)
THis is corrected again in my development version. but I'm not sure this is related to your case.

#17 2-Oct-2014 17:44:26

hebdemnobad
Website

arkeon wrote:

hmm I forgot to re-add a correction in ogre last time I updated it.
the widgets disapear when you lost the 3D device (screen change or navigator tab switch)
THis is corrected again in my development version. but I'm not sure this is related to your case.

This will correct problems with creating 2d ui elements as children of the os3d window?

#18 2-Oct-2014 17:50:02

iri
Website

What do you do exactly ?
Keep all os3d functionalities or display any 3d object in an empty 3d scene ?

#19 2-Oct-2014 17:53:18

hebdemnobad
Website

iri wrote:

What do you do exactly ?
Keep all os3d functionalities or display any 3d object in an empty 3d scene ?

Os3d is great so I'd like to keep os3d functionalities.

Last edited by hebdemnobad (2-Oct-2014 17:57:00)

#20 2-Oct-2014 18:01:26

hebdemnobad
Website

another route would be to embed internet explorer in an ie app (I did this this morning with visual studio running a url with an os3d scene, and run two instances of the voyager in i.e, one running scol without os3d, the other running os3d.

#21 2-Oct-2014 18:07:59

arkeon
Website

in the last version of OS3D there is a plugIT  in misc  "scene loader"
add this plugit and you will be able to drag and drop any supported 3D formats (Obj, collada, fbx ...)  directly in the OS3D player. so you can use it as a 3D object viewer.

If you want to use several windows just because of the widget bug, we should better find the widget problem if it still exist smile

#22 2-Oct-2014 18:13:02

iri
Website

Ok, do not reinvent what already exists.
But (I simply ask the question), is Os3D not too heavy for a social network application ?

I don't enough know the os3d code to answer, maybe it will be easier to add some functionalities in os3d ?

I had done a such Scol app (to edit together some 3d objects between several users and other things) with the old 3d engine. But is os3d done for it ?

#23 2-Oct-2014 18:41:22

hebdemnobad
Website

Thx for the reply Iri, and I have checked out your tutorial using a barebones 3d engine.

But yes Wheels? I love wheels.

Wait!

What I'm imagining is something like the os3d editor, which (if I am correct) contains the os3d player functionality as a child of the main od3d interface, correct? the log window, plugit area, scenetree are not children of the 3d buffer, are they?

What I am thinking of doing is targeting the windows 8.1 tablet market, as small as it may be. 

The application could prevent clients from downloading scenes that are too complex, or perhaps give users that option so their tablets don't freeze.

Last edited by hebdemnobad (2-Oct-2014 18:43:17)

#24 2-Oct-2014 21:52:29

arkeon
Website

maybe that you could just modify the OS3D player main code to add windows in the main one and change the size of the 3D window.
OS3Dplayer.pkg only creates default callbacks and the main window for 3D.

In SCS 2 it use to be an interface editor where you defines zone to associate with plugITs but since OS3D is focused on 3D only this was not remade the same way.

But I still advice you to use widget interfaces.

This will correct problems with creating 2d ui elements as children of the os3d window?

I'm not sure about that, the thing is this is not made to do this. You should just make your interface with html / js code. this should be a lot more simple to learn that everything else you try to do smile
Html / javascript is very powerful for UI. And all remain on the user 3D view, no floating windows or thing like that.

#25 7-Oct-2014 18:25:49

hebdemnobad
Website

arkeon wrote:

maybe that you could just modify the OS3D player main code to add windows in the main one and change the size of the 3D window.
OS3Dplayer.pkg only creates default callbacks and the main window for 3D.

In SCS 2 it use to be an interface editor where you defines zone to associate with plugITs but since OS3D is focused on 3D only this was not remade the same way.

But I still advice you to use widget interfaces.

I'm not sure about that, the thing is this is not made to do this. You should just make your interface with html / js code. this should be a lot more simple to learn that everything else you try to do smile
Html / javascript is very powerful for UI. And all remain on the user 3D view, no floating windows or thing like that.

So what you propose arkeon is that I use widgets for all the interface elements? I think that's what you mean.

-h

Board footer