Scolring - Forum

Entraides et échanges autour de la technologie Scol - Informations and exchanges on the Scol technology

Vous pouvez changer la langue de l'interface une fois inscrit - You can change the language once registered

You are not logged in.

#1 6-Oct-2011 01:43:26

hebdemnobad
Website

question about the network.xos example

colleagues:

when i run the network.xos example in two separate windows on the same computer, when i click on the ball in one window, the ball moves in the other window, but does not move in the window where i clicked the ball...does the network.xos require that the client is running on two separate machines?

#2 6-Oct-2011 17:40:21

Nodrev
Scol Language & OS3D developer

Re: question about the network.xos example

The explication is that our physic engine is not deterministic (like 99% of real time other physic engines), which means that playing the same simulation 2 times will not render the same result. It's the case in <put your favorite multiplayer game here> too, cause for example we don't care if the bottle I just come shooting on moves exactly the same way as it will on the distant computer my friend plays with.
Anyway, what you are asking for is possible with openspace3d, but you'll need two different scenes, a "master scene" with physics on, and some "clients scene" with physic off, just updating object positions.

Last edited by Nodrev (6-Oct-2011 17:40:52)

#3 6-Oct-2011 18:55:04

hebdemnobad
Website

Nodrev wrote:

The explication is that our physic engine is not deterministic (like 99% of real time other physic engines), which means that playing the same simulation 2 times will not render the same result. It's the case in <put your favorite multiplayer game here> too, cause for example we don't care if the bottle I just come shooting on moves exactly the same way as it will on the distant computer my friend plays with.
Anyway, what you are asking for is possible with openspace3d, but you'll need two different scenes, a "master scene" with physics on, and some "clients scene" with physic off, just updating object positions.

So the master scene would run on the server, responding to collision messages sent by the clients and then feeding back the object positions?

#4 6-Oct-2011 21:59:26

arkeon
Admin. / Scol language & OpenSpace3D developer
Website

Yes exactly this is a possibility to do that sort of thing

#5 6-Oct-2011 22:59:29

hebdemnobad
Website

so to have a good game of one on one tennis, you need, in effect, a physics server (i guess some games have them, i don't know, i got into online 3d because i design for theater and installation art...never played games very much)

#6 6-Oct-2011 23:11:31

iri
Admin. / Scol language & Scol apps developer
Website

In theory :
- one server, one or more clients
or
- two or more interconnected clients.
The clients see the motion if they are in the specific sphere (the radius defined by the game) around the object.

Board footer