Scolring - Forum

Entraides et échanges autour de la technologie Scol - Informations and exchanges on the Scol technology

Vous pouvez changer la langue de l'interface une fois inscrit - You can change the language once registered

You are not logged in.

#1 25-Sep-2011 10:01:54

searchresult

Web integration and realistic materials

Hello, I'm new to this forum and also new to the Openspace 3D software.

I was wondering if there is any way to integrate Openspace 3D player in website (on server) so people don't have to download plugin and to start in full screen mode?

Also if it is possible to render reflections like high polished materials have? examle: satinless steel, high polished parquet and so on...

Is there a way to make materials look more photo realistic?

There is also one more thing. When using FPS like controller (Wich I like the best), how to make interactions with object (such as flash audio or video player) easier?

Thank you.

I use it mostly for virtual tours...

I'm sorry if i posted this in the wrong section of the forum.

PS: I really like Openspace 3D for the easy use, especially if you are a begginer...

Last edited by searchresult (25-Sep-2011 10:06:38)

#2 25-Sep-2011 23:19:24

hebdemnobad
Website

Re: Web integration and realistic materials

openspace uses ogre to render 3d objects and materials, including shaders. usually what you have is a .material file that refers to 2d image files (or 3d dds image files), and to other files with the .cg, .program, .frag, .glsl, .hlsl, .vp or .vs extensions.....if you look at the ogre3d site you can download examples of how materials and shaders work. ogre can render shaders with directx or opengl.

#3 26-Sep-2011 08:30:54

arkeon
Admin. / Scol language & OpenSpace3D developer
Website

Hi and welcome !

as hebdemnobad says you can use CG / HLSL or GLSL shaders for advanced materials, you have an example in examples/basic/sharders with one using reflection / refraction plan.

For web integration you'll have to download and install the scol voyager plugin to view the 3D scene exporter with OpenSpace3D.

For mixing  FPS like controller and mouse interaction you can for examples disable the controller and show the mouse cursor on distance of your interact object and enable it when you've done.

#4 26-Sep-2011 08:54:40

searchresult

Thank you for the answers. Are there any advance tutorials or any tutorials in english?

#5 26-Sep-2011 09:39:02

Nodrev
Scol Language & OS3D developer

Sorry, but I do not have tutorial links at all...
But, for material files examples, you can check Ogre's wiki page (for example, http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Materials).
The mandatory script manual, for understanding material files keywords: http://www.ogre3d.org/docs/manual/manual_14.html#SEC23 (and the following pages).
You can also use a material editor inside the modeler, using OgreMax or Blender2Ogre (integrated material editor is a OpenSpace3D's planned functionnality, but it does not exists at this time...), or search in ogre's forum (http://www.ogre3d.org/) for a third party material editor (I know this one, but I never use it, so I do not know how reliable it is).
Finally, a search on ogre's forum for the effect you need is often successfull.

#6 26-Sep-2011 10:10:18

searchresult

Thank you very much for quick response.

Integratetd material editor would be something extremely useful and I'm glad that it is planned functionnality. Just hoping it will come soon. Hopefully one day it will be possible to upload Openspace3D project on web (integrate it to website) and to play it without plugin (is there any chance for this to happen?)...

Thank you.

#7 26-Sep-2011 10:32:29

arkeon
Website

Almost all web 3D technologies need a plugin (even flash), the difference is that the needed dependencies are download for each web 3D page, with a transparency way for the end user ('cause for a strange reason he don't like navigator plugins even if he has 10 toolbars installed).

You must consider Scol as the same as Flash or Java who need Java VM or Flash plugin installed.

Making Scol web applications working without plugin would be only if a google chrome or other navigator decide to integrate the scol VM in his navigator (not for tomorrow)

#8 26-Sep-2011 10:42:54

Nodrev
Scol Language & OS3D developer

There is at least two techniques to render 3D scene in a navigator without using WebGL:
- Use a proprietary plugin, that will inform the user he needs to install some new components in his computer.
- Use flash or java (which are plugins too, but installed on most of computers) as a "wrapper" that will download your plugin (your 3D engine if you prefer) without asking anything.
The second seems better, as the user does not do anything... but, it installs software on the user pc without warning him (except the navigator security message, which do not say explicitly "hey, I'm going to install a software on your pc and you don't know what it is"). The security concerns should always be taking in count in web technologies (even if it makes the life of the users <a little> more complicated).
So, I think that we will stay on the first solution...

Last edited by Nodrev (26-Sep-2011 13:00:12)

#9 26-Sep-2011 10:52:41

arkeon
Website

Using Java to pass the security problems and get the java window to display scol content should be a solution, (and maintain navigators plugins should be easier for us) it's strange, but you're right it's the way it works for most of technologies ^^

wait and see

#10 26-Sep-2011 12:06:30

iri
Admin. / Scol language & Scol apps developer
Website

Hi,

Ok, with Arkeon and Nodrev
Also, it is easy to display a short message :
"Ok, you need the Scol plugin to read all my projects ! But you only have to do this installation once ..." (blablah)

OFF

arkeon wrote:

Using Java to pass the security problems and get the java window to display scol content should be a solution, (and maintain navigators plugins should be easier for us) it's strange, but you're right it's the way it works for most of technologies

hummm ...

/OFF

#11 26-Sep-2011 14:53:36

searchresult

I wouldn't like to install anything to ppl computers without them knowing that (Could it be done like firefox addons, somehow ppl trust that more than software install). But it's ok. Oh, is it possible to make custom loading screen (like ones you can do with flash)? Will you create more appealing loading page with O3D logo (like one that is presented when opening editor)?

Sorry for all the questions, but couldn't find answers to them online...

#12 26-Sep-2011 15:33:54

arkeon
Website

Yes loading screen (even a simple one with only logo state) is on my todo list ^^

#13 26-Sep-2011 18:13:09

searchresult

arkeon wrote:

Yes loading screen (even a simple one with only logo state) is on my todo list ^^

So it's not possible to make custom loader (user created)?

#14 26-Sep-2011 18:20:01

iri
Admin. / Scol language & Scol apps developer
Website

Scol is an opensource language.
Openspace3d is an opensource application based on Scol.
So, you can always distribute your made release (being in agreement with the license, of course) and yours navigators plugins, if any.

#15 27-Sep-2011 08:36:08

arkeon
Website

Yes I could make a plugIT managing this.
For features request, correction or bug please use the redmine to post them http://redmine.scolring.org/projects/openspace3d

#16 27-Sep-2011 14:46:34

searchresult

Thank you for your suggestion.

I've registered at redmine and confirmed registration but when I try to log in I get Invalid username or password. So I went to Lost password and tried to change it but then it won't let me change it... Don't know what's wrong.

#17 27-Sep-2011 14:50:41

arkeon
Website

I can't find your login in the redmine users be sure to create your login here : http://redmine.scolring.org/account/register

#18 27-Sep-2011 15:13:28

searchresult

arkeon wrote:

I can't find your login in the redmine users be sure to create your login here : http://redmine.scolring.org/account/register

I have registered there cause when i try again message pops out username exists and email bla bla... I used same username as here on this forum searchresult. Also my email is the same as here...

#19 27-Sep-2011 15:19:49

arkeon
Website

Ok it should work now, there was an error in the lastname (a bad character)

#20 27-Sep-2011 15:33:37

searchresult

arkeon wrote:

Ok it should work now, there was an error in the lastname (a bad character)

no it still doesn't work and the problem was letter " ć " in my last name?

#21 27-Sep-2011 15:39:51

arkeon
Website

Sorry ... seems ok now ... I activated your account

#22 27-Sep-2011 15:43:23

searchresult

It works now. Thank you.

Board footer