Scolring - Forum

Entraides et échanges autour de la technologie Scol - Informations and exchanges on the Scol technology

Vous pouvez changer la langue de l'interface une fois inscrit - You can change the language once registered

You are not logged in.

#1 7-Oct-2018 08:48:44

giorgio.denunzio

Navigate through a mesh generated by sfm-mvs

Hi all, I've just found this project, it looks amazing!

Being a newcomer, I'd like to understand before all if it is fit for my needs. I understand that this question would find an answer by just studying the tutorials and reading the book, but I wish to know before starting, so please really excuse me.

I have generated many 3d models of the interior and exterior of buildings by sfm-mvs methods (3d reconstruction from photos). They are in form of meshes (ply or obj, with uv texture or baked color). Can I use OpenSpace3d to navigate them with some naive physics? I mean: I should not traverse the mesh (objects, walls), I should enter/exit by "doors" (so a measure of my size and a rough silhouette should be defined and compared with the size/shape of the openings, with a collision check), and I should... keep my feet on the ground while exploring (so up/down/gravity must be defined). Can I do all of this?
Any hint as to where to look at first?
Thanks
Giorgio

#2 7-Oct-2018 10:31:55

arkeon
Admin. / Scol language & OpenSpace3D developer
Website

Re: Navigate through a mesh generated by sfm-mvs

Hello,

yes OS3D comes with a physic engine that manage mesh collision, you can also visit your model with a VR headset!
Just drag your models (ply, obj) in the 3D view to import them.

#3 7-Oct-2018 19:07:47

giorgio.denunzio

Bonjour arkeon, thanks for your kind reply!
So it seems that this is just what I was looking for! I have Cultural Heritage applications in mind, e.g. the exploration of museum rooms or ancient buildings. I really have to try!
Can you (or someone else) point me at the right tutorial (or at least at a working example), just to get a taste of the software potential in this direction? In the meantime I'll start studying as necessary smile (video tutorials at first, then the book) and my future questions will be more specific.
Thanks again
Giorgio

#4 7-Oct-2018 19:44:34

arkeon
Admin. / Scol language & OpenSpace3D developer
Website

Board footer