Scolring - Forum

Entraides et échanges autour de la technologie Scol - Informations and exchanges on the Scol technology

Vous pouvez changer la langue de l'interface une fois inscrit - You can change the language once registered

You are not logged in.

#1 2-Feb-2017 00:26:45

TinSoldier

Install Issue

downloaded the latest windows version.

During install i cant select which harddrive to install to, it defaults to the windows default which is kinda of full and i avoid installing anything to it.

I bought an external 2T harddrive just for this purpose, to keep the windows drive clean as possible..

How do i select a harddrive of my choice to install too ??

any 3D app will consume way to much space on my windows default harddrive ??

#2 2-Feb-2017 09:43:19

arkeon
Admin. / Scol language & OpenSpace3D developer
Website

Re: Install Issue

Hello,
Since OS3D setup install different packages the default location is used by default.

to override it you can download manually the scol voyager from http://scolring.org/rsc/scol_plugin.exe
and choose your location during install.

If you choose to install 3D library it will be installed in the my document folder so be careful to have enough space if you check it.

Anytime windows need space on C drive. what ever you do you'll have to reinstall windows one day on a bigger C partition since it share the default programs but also the user directory.

then you can install the OS3D setup that will use the location you defined before.

#3 3-Feb-2017 00:56:08

TinSoldier

Thankyou for the quick reply.

I did as you suggested .. but..

I unchecked the first install option "3d model library" forget the actual name.

Everything else seemed required so i left that and also checked all other options.

this hasn't seemed to help at all because i still lost almost 7G worth of space on my C: drive even though OS3D was installed to my N: drive with 245G worth of free space...

Now i'm wondering where my added models and projects will be stored and will i loose even more space on my C: drive ??

#4 3-Feb-2017 09:44:19

arkeon
Website

the demos and samples are in "My documents/OpenSpace3D"
what you need is to move the my documents directory (just moving it is useless you must do it in the directory parameters)

All software must be able to write on users/AppData this is how windows is made. So like I said before whatever you do if you don't have enough space on C drive is just making it worst for the day you will face to reinstall all the system.

I recommends you :
- to clean up your system, uninstall softwares you don't use ... games you have finished (now it's more than 50Go for a game)
- to resize your partitions if your C drive is shared with other partition.
- to change your c drive to a new one if it's too small

I had a 64Go SSD with my system on it and after several windows updates even by hacking windows to move the users directory to another hdd I finally had to buy a larger SSD and reinstall all the system anyway. Windows need system and user files on C drive no matter what.

#5 3-Feb-2017 09:45:57

arkeon
Website

Your other choice for OS3D is to uninstall it all and download the stand alone version that you can copy and launch from anywhere.

#6 3-Feb-2017 20:56:51

TinSoldier

well, not a happy camper right now..

I uninstalled OS3D and scol voy@ger..

Still missing 7G worth of my C drive, uninstalling did nothing.

I rebooted, did a low level dskchk looking for bad sectors ( found nothing ) even did a system restore to 3 days ago before the install .. still missing 7G due to OS3D and scol being installed..

I cant reinstall it now, my head is telling me that i'll loose another 7G if i do for a total of 14G..

I'm just not going to take that chance...

Something in this process needs to be updated to prevent this, i use 3dmax which is heavy with models i've made, and no wasted space happens on my C drive from it, or other 3D programs.. saying it's normal for programs to store things there is true, but 7G is way to much and apparently not recoverable .....

#7 3-Feb-2017 21:19:53

arkeon
Website

Well even will all installed OS3D can't take 7Go ^^
to prevent modified user files to be deleted the directory "My documents/OpenSpace3D" is not removed you can do it manually.

OS3D only install files in
c:\program files(x86)/Scol Voyager
and in My documents/OpenSpace3D

You should try the standalone version

#8 3-Feb-2017 21:37:45

TinSoldier

i assume you mean the portable version..

FYI .. the uninstall removed the OS3D directories, but scol voyager left behind a directory with 177MB of data in it.

As to 7G missing, i cant explain that either, but i checked the drive space right before installing and had 32G of free space on C:, i now have 24G of space.....

#9 4-Feb-2017 00:33:10

arkeon
Website

Yes OpenSpace3D uninstall only OS3D files, the scol voyager have a different uninstall setup.

A lot of things can change the C free space. like windows updates, temp files or directory not cleaned by softs or system, one of them is the windows virtual memory file that can be resized by system on it's demands. If your C hard drive is a ssd it's better to keep this file on the ssd otherwise you can change the virtual memory location.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel … erformance in Change the size of virtual memory section

#10 8-Feb-2017 09:26:54

iri
Admin. / Scol language & Scol apps developer
Website

Hi,
8 Go ! You did not install a copy of the source code (by subversion by example) ? Only the "setup" ?

Board footer