Scolring - Forum

Entraides et échanges autour de la technologie Scol - Informations and exchanges on the Scol technology

Vous pouvez changer la langue de l'interface une fois inscrit - You can change the language once registered

You are not logged in.

#1 6-Oct-2015 15:55:29

Morbott

Introduction To OpenSpace3D Book?

Hello,
Just wondering if anyone out there has purchased that Introduction to OpenSpace3D book?
Would you recommend it?
I don't have a lot of cash, so I guess I'm just looking for some opinions before I dole out the money.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
M

#2 6-Oct-2015 16:23:08

iri
Admin. / Scol language & Scol apps developer
Website

Re: Introduction To OpenSpace3D Book?

Hello, Arkeon wrote this book and he is the OS3D developper wink
In my view, it is very good.

I hope the OS3D' s users will comment below too.

#3 7-Oct-2015 15:53:54

Morbott

This sounds promising.
Do you think there's anyway we can at least see the table of contents? Just to be able to get a better understanding of what the book covers.

All though I have plenty of experience in TV and animation production, I have just a little bit of knowledge of game development. The knowledge I do have is mainly from the Blender Game Engine and a little dabbling with Unity.
I was attracted to OpenSpace3D because of its PlugITs system, but I'll be honest, I haven't found it easy to pick up. I'd hope this book might take the reader from a noob to pro. With some emphasis on the noob. A lot of times, I find that the noob part of these books get glossed over. When one is a pro, it's sometimes hard to dumb things down again and communicate to someone who has never used the program.

Anyway... if anyone has just a screen grab or anything that shows the table of contents, that would be great.

Thank you,
M

Last edited by Morbott (7-Oct-2015 17:47:55)

#4 7-Oct-2015 18:12:43

iri
Website

Morbott wrote:

I was attracted to OpenSpace3D because of its PlugITs system, but I'll be honest, I haven't found it easy to pick up.

hmmm ... A bit like Blender, perhaps some find it difficult to use because its interface is different from many other 3d softwares.

Morbott wrote:

A lot of times, I find that the noob part of these books get glossed over. When one is a pro, it's sometimes hard to dumb things down again and communicate to someone who has never used the program.

True. However, I think this is not the case here.
Users should you give their comments.

Morbott wrote:

Anyway... if anyone has just a screen grab or anything that shows the table of contents, that would be great.

http://www.openspace3d.com/ebook-conten … de-lebook/ (the table of contents)
http://www.openspace3d.com/buy-openspac … enspace3d/

#5 7-Oct-2015 19:47:38

Morbott

Thanks for your feedback.

I hope you didn't take offense to my comment about not finding OpenSpace3D easy to pick up. I don't think this is the fault of the software. This is mainly due to time I have available, and unlike the Blender community, lets just say it's a little harder to find resources/tutorials to help new users get through the basics in OpenSpace3D.
That's all... hopefully over time this will get better.

This is what brought me here to ask about the book. Thank you for the links. It's very helpful.

I agree... it would be great to hear from other uses, and get their comments too.
Thanks again,
Moris

#6 7-Oct-2015 20:48:40

iri
Website

Don't worry, no offense !

Official tutorials :

- http://www.openspace3d.com/lang/en/support/ (middle page)
- https://www.youtube.com/user/Openspace3D

And all included examples in your local openspace3d directory

#7 8-Oct-2015 17:48:29

arkeon
Admin. / Scol language & OpenSpace3D developer
Website

Hello,

if you have feedback on ergonomy or any comments about OS3D do not hesitate ^^
This is how free software works and how users can help us to make it better.

Board footer