Scolring - Forum

Entraides et échanges autour de la technologie Scol - Informations and exchanges on the Scol technology

Vous pouvez changer la langue de l'interface une fois inscrit - You can change the language once registered

You are not logged in.

#1 13-Mar-2023 16:44:04

ve

Can't import an FBX character with animations at all

I'm using Mixamo and adding animations to a character. Importing that character as an FBX into Blender 3.1.2.
I have tried to import into OpenSpace3D Fbx, Dae any format that holds animations but every time, no matter what, the model comes into OpenSpace3D with not visible even when materials are applied.
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or what other steps i need to take in Blender to export the character and its animations.

I tried the Ogre exporter but it just throws up errors.

If anyone has a workflow that they would share I'd greatly appreciate it and my students too.

#2 15-Mar-2023 09:53:02

arkeon
Admin. / Scol language & OpenSpace3D developer
Website

Re: Can't import an FBX character with animations at all

Hello,

coud you send me the FBX and DAE file by mail, so I could check what happen ?
(the mail is bellow my nickname on the left of this post)

#3 22-Mar-2023 00:55:20

ve

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

I've emailed you a few times, not sure if they are getting through, but i can't see your email address and there is no option to attach a file.

We are just looking to create something similar to the Andy model with his accompanying aminations. My students were using Mixamo for this. Again any fbx we export from mixamo or even from blender just isn't working.

If there is a workflow for this we would greatly appreciate any help.

#4 22-Mar-2023 04:12:01

ve

When exporting from Mixamo as a .dae the character comes into OpenSpace with material but no animation but also looks like this link
link

Last edited by ve (22-Mar-2023 08:56:41)

#5 20-Apr-2023 20:10:02

Roberto

Good evening, I'm new to the forum and open space 3d. I have the same problem too. If I import a Character with animation in FBX format from mixamo, but also in any other format, I import them all, so both the mesh, the material, and the animations, but the animations don't work. The character remains in T-pose, but in the tree on the left I have everything, both the character and the bones and the animations. I don't understand and I can't find tutorials on the internet Can someone kindly help me please? Grace in advance.

Last edited by Roberto (20-Apr-2023 20:12:28)

#6 20-Apr-2023 23:00:47

ve

Hi Reberto,

I posted a solution that i found to work.
Here is my workflow if anyone else needs a helping hand.

This is for using Mixamo characters and the animations to OpenSpace3D - You can also rig your own Character in Mixamo and use the animations too.  My Students love it. Was almost going to give up on OpenSpace3D

01. Export a t-pose from mixamo (No naimations)
02. export animations from mixamo - With Skins (New Blank Project)
03. import t-pose to 3ds max - (New Blank Project)
04. export t-pose to fbx with embed media checked - To bake the textures
05. import animation from mixamo ( one at a time and in Animations Tab - Save Animation (New Blank Project)  )
06. save animation to new folder - do for all animations
07. import new baked fbx t-pose of the Character (New Blank Project)
08. Using motion mixer in 3Ds Max - add the exported animation files into the timeline
09. click the stopwatch in motion mixer to extend the timeline to fit all the animations
10. export as ogre
11. save to openspce3d folder
12. import as scene

I hope this helps others. Its great as you can use the Animation Switcher with multiple trigger images.
The only problem now is that Mixamo seems to  have some jumpy keyframes and the Character isn't really rooted. If that was fixed then this would be a perfect workflow for students using free software, as they get 3Ds Max free for as long as they are students.

#7 20-Apr-2023 23:04:12

ve

I then use this tutorial for the animations:
http://augmentmy.world/16-2

#8 20-Apr-2023 23:09:06

Roberto

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I just read this answer. The problem is that I don't have 3dsmax... And I'm not a student. Isn't there another free software where I can import characters and animations from mixamo and export?

#9 20-Apr-2023 23:16:05

ve

I know you can do it through Blender too, but i found it difficult getting the OGRE exporter working. It just didn't work for me from Blender.

It's a massive pity there are no other tutorials or help with this. OpenSpace3D is a brilliant program, but lacks these tutorials and help for anyone interested in it. Any tutorials on Youtube are really old too.

If you do find a work around please post it here, I'd appreciate that loads.

#10 20-Apr-2023 23:29:13

Roberto

Sure, if I find a way, I'll write it here.... Is it possible that there isn't a tutorial from the developers? How Andy was created for example... Then, with a free program (open space 3d) I have to use a paid program to create a Character with animations... Surely os3d is great.. But essential resources are missing! I am developing games with Unreal engine and with all assets free I was able to market a game with 0 budget. Thanks so much for the replies by the way. You are very kind.

#11 20-Apr-2023 23:55:15

Roberto

But have you used this ogre exporter for Blender?

https://wiki.ogre3d.org/Blender+Exporter

#12 21-Apr-2023 11:50:23

arkeon
Website

Hello,
I made some test with mixamo, and corrected some issue in the next beta coming.
The main issue that still here is the model are not available with animations and meshes in the same file, all animations are in different files.

I'll try to manage this case when I'll have time. maybe ask the user to select animation files when a skeleton is detected in a model. Also I  don't know yet is the assimp project allow to convert a skeleton animation without a model in the file.

Andy was made using 3DSmax and Easy Ogre exporter. I'm not familiar with blender so maybe someone else in the community could help for this.

#13 21-Apr-2023 12:24:15

Roberto

Hi, instead I tried to use blender2ogre on blender, but there is no "OgreXmlConverter.exe" file Maybe I have to compile it myself, but I'm short on time and I'm trying to figure out how it works. I probably have to compile it myself first with Python and generate the .exe file

Last edited by Roberto (21-Apr-2023 12:25:10)

#14 21-Apr-2023 13:29:44

arkeon
Website

Hello, I just compiled the OgreXmlConverter with my current Ogre version
You can find it here: https://redmine.openspace3d.com/project … lConverter
Also I uploaded the 1.91 - Beta4 version of OS3D you can find it in the Beta channel on the forum.

#15 21-Apr-2023 15:45:19

ve

arkeon wrote:

Hello,
I made some test with mixamo, and corrected some issue in the next beta coming.
The main issue that still here is the model are not available with animations and meshes in the same file, all animations are in different files.

I'll try to manage this case when I'll have time. maybe ask the user to select animation files when a skeleton is detected in a model. Also I  don't know yet is the assimp project allow to convert a skeleton animation without a model in the file.

Andy was made using 3DSmax and Easy Ogre exporter. I'm not familiar with blender so maybe someone else in the community could help for this.

WOW!!! I didn't know that you code it! That's impressive! And amazing
Thank you so much for this.
Absolutely brilliant

#16 21-Apr-2023 15:46:31

ve

arkeon wrote:

Also I uploaded the 1.91 - Beta4 version of OS3D you can find it in the Beta channel on the forum.

My Students are going to have it easy next year then. Thank you so much for everything. Really appreciate it all.

#17 21-Apr-2023 19:48:43

Roberto

arkeon wrote:

Fantastico, appena posso, provo. Grazie!!

#18 22-Apr-2023 13:15:16

Roberto

arkeon wrote:

Update. Now blender2ogre seems to work fine without any compile errors, but if I import an animated Character from mixamo into blender (I also installed the mixamo plugin into blender) and export to Ogre... The result files give me 1 .skeleton file and 1 .scene file I try to import into os3d, but nothing shows. I've been trying all morning, to no avail. When I try to import into os3d plus it only displays the .scene file But probably (actually definitely) I'm doing something wrong. This is very frustrating because I can't use os3d this way. Is there somewhere already some Character already with different animations, that I can get for os3d? In addition to the default ones that I find in the program?

#19 22-Apr-2023 14:38:22

Roberto

Update 2 I inserted a Character with animation (to mixamo) in blender, I deleted the animation (therefore also the skeleton) I created a simple animation to the mesh (just moving it back and forth) I exported with blender2ogre and on os3d it works. The mesh is animated, back and forth. In practice, I believe that if I mesh in blender, I create the skeleton and create the animations (a lifetime ?) it should work in os3d The problem is that I have to create all the animations myself.
Now unfortunately I no longer have time maybe for a couple of days. But I want to try to modify the animations that I import from Mixamo inside Blender and see if I can insert them as Blender inserts them when it creates its own animation. Hoping it works.

Last edited by Roberto (22-Apr-2023 14:48:30)

#20 23-Apr-2023 10:36:47

arkeon
Website

Hello

Can you send me the mesh and skeleton along with material and textures file generated from the mixamo animations and model.

Maybe the bones transformation have an issue with scale or something

You will find my mail under my login on the left of this post.

#21 23-Apr-2023 20:01:46

Roberto

arkeon wrote:

Hello

Can you send me the mesh and skeleton along with material and textures file generated from the mixamo animations and model.

Maybe the bones transformation have an issue with scale or something

You will find my mail under my login on the left of this post.

Hello and thanks for the reply. I saw the link to send you the email, but it won't let me attach any files.
Now I upload it to google drive and send you the link

edit

I sent the mail with the link to google drive.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Roberto (23-Apr-2023 20:11:20)

#22 24-Apr-2023 08:38:27

arkeon
Website

Hello, the .mesh, material and textures are missed from in the File exported with blender2ogre directory.
there is only the skeleton file

#23 24-Apr-2023 13:00:12

Roberto

arkeon wrote:

Hello, the .mesh, material and textures are missed from in the File exported with blender2ogre directory.
there is only the skeleton file

Hi, I sent you everything that blender2ogre exports to me. As I wrote previously, in fact, when I export with it and not only .fbx in os3d nothing is displayed (precisely because it does not export me .mesh, materials, etc.)

I wrote it here.

Update. Now blender2ogre seems to work fine without any compile errors, but if I import an animated Character from mixamo into blender (I also installed the mixamo plugin into blender) and export to Ogre... The result files give me 1 .skeleton file and 1 .scene file I try to import into os3d, but nothing shows.

Last edited by Roberto (24-Apr-2023 13:05:15)

#24 24-Apr-2023 13:58:21

arkeon
Website

Hello,

I did some tests using blender mixamo plugin and latest Blender2Ogre.
along with this tutorial : https://youtu.be/wYqJ7AyEuhc

I can export the model with correct skeleton into OS3D, but animations are bad.
It seems to be related with the skelton bind pose. When exporting the model with bind pos the animation is not exported...

I also try to update assimp https://github.com/assimp/assimp
in case I could get better compatibility with mixamo formats.

I'll tell you if I found a way. unfortunatly the best workflow for now is to use 3DS max with EasyOgreExporter I made it to be 100% compatilble with OS3D with all skeleton and pose animations.

#25 24-Apr-2023 14:21:47

Roberto

arkeon wrote:

Hello,

I did some tests using blender mixamo plugin and latest Blender2Ogre.
along with this tutorial : https://youtu.be/wYqJ7AyEuhc

I can export the model with correct skeleton into OS3D, but animations are bad.
It seems to be related with the skelton bind pose. When exporting the model with bind pos the animation is not exported...

I also try to update assimp https://github.com/assimp/assimp
in case I could get better compatibility with mixamo formats.

I'll tell you if I found a way. unfortunatly the best workflow for now is to use 3DS max with EasyOgreExporter I made it to be 100% compatilble with OS3D with all skeleton and pose animations.

Ok, thank you so much for your time

Board footer